Sweet Finds
Tonight I was trying to organize the closet in the room I am staying at in my parents' house. This was a great task, as the closet has been a sort of "catch-all" for all things unwanted in the vicinity.
I found a whole box of stuff that I had been looking for for years, namely this big wave crimper type hair appliance I got when I was 13 or 14 [It starts to get scary when you're old enough to see a trend go by for a second round....], and my dreadlocks rasta wig. I SO know what I'm doing for Halloween this year......haha. ["Hey........who's that new band teacher????"]
Most of the stuff in the closet wasn't mine, though. I'm sure I could make a fortune if only I could contact the costume department of any movie studio looking for authentic threads for a 90s prom scene. The bright fushia pouffy dress with puffed sleeves and lace collar, the black and white sequined gown with taffeta skirt. Oh, the list goes on and on....and on. Unfortunately, I cannot lay any claim to these veritable treasures. They belong to my mother.
As she carried armful after armful of the montrosities out of the room, I mentioned that maybe we could take a trip down to the thrift store tomorrow to drop them off. But she managed to hedge my question, proceeded downstairs, and started hanging the relics in another closet. I rolled my eyes as she mumbled something like, "Uh, well, I, er, have to sort through them first......"
Hey, if anyone labels me a packrat, at least I come by it honestly.
I found a whole box of stuff that I had been looking for for years, namely this big wave crimper type hair appliance I got when I was 13 or 14 [It starts to get scary when you're old enough to see a trend go by for a second round....], and my dreadlocks rasta wig. I SO know what I'm doing for Halloween this year......haha. ["Hey........who's that new band teacher????"]
Most of the stuff in the closet wasn't mine, though. I'm sure I could make a fortune if only I could contact the costume department of any movie studio looking for authentic threads for a 90s prom scene. The bright fushia pouffy dress with puffed sleeves and lace collar, the black and white sequined gown with taffeta skirt. Oh, the list goes on and on....and on. Unfortunately, I cannot lay any claim to these veritable treasures. They belong to my mother.
As she carried armful after armful of the montrosities out of the room, I mentioned that maybe we could take a trip down to the thrift store tomorrow to drop them off. But she managed to hedge my question, proceeded downstairs, and started hanging the relics in another closet. I rolled my eyes as she mumbled something like, "Uh, well, I, er, have to sort through them first......"
Hey, if anyone labels me a packrat, at least I come by it honestly.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home