Jace's Journeys

Monday, August 08, 2005

Cheeky Canuck

Maybe it was the spice.

Whatever it was, it made me a lot more cheeky than usual tonight.

My parents called this afternoon, and said they had arrived in town with my aunt and uncle who are visiting from Trinidad. They are spending the night in E-town before we all head out to Jasper tomorrow. Anyhow, they were hoping I would give them a tour of West Edmonton Mall.

"Noooooo!" I groaned. I hate that mall. It's so loud, and big, and crowded, especially in the summer time. It's a somniferous,* energy-sucking vortex.

[Not to mention that: me being broke at the moment + terrific end of season sales = cruel and unusual punishment.]

"Okay, okay," my mom says, "We'll just get a map. But can you meet us there later?"

"I guess so," I grumbled. [Hey, I had a hard day. I completely lost my composure and started bawling when I was leaving the office after cleaning out my desk today and saying my final goodbyes to everyone.]

So I head to the mall, battling the Whitemud at the tail end of rush hour. I arrived, parked, fastened my nifty new steering wheel lock into place, and walked into the mall. I called my mom's cell to see where they were at, but she didn't answer.....so I started browsing in Thrifty's.

I always enjoy reading the t-shirts in Thrifty's because they are so clever and punny. Nevermind that most of them have less than chaste-minded messages. Sometimes they just make me laugh. Especially their current line of cheeky Canadian t-shirts. Alas, I couldn't resist: they were funny AND they were on sale. Soooooo, twenty dollars later, I walked out with two new additions for my closet. The first one reads: "All the best girls are Canadian". [how true!] The front of the second one says "Oh Canada!". The back says: Sexy Since '67. Ha ha. [My mom: "You weren't even born in '67!" Me: "Uhhhh, that would be 1867...Canada...it's sexy, cool, ya know?" Mom: shakes heads, rolls eyes. Dad gets look of concern.] I wanted to get the one at American Eagle that really took the cake. Emblazoned on the front in rather large letters it read: You can't get this in the States. ;-) It's about time we get some patriotism in this country of ours!

Anyway, I finally got ahold of my parents, and they said we were meeting my other aunt and uncle from Edmonton at Earl's on Bourbon Street. It was a lovely dinner for a party of eight, and we were delighted to find out they have quite a variety of international cuisine. My dad had the Thai green curry, my mom had some kind of kung pow chicken, and I had (correct me if I'm wrong, Rosy) Jeera chicken curry. No one was bored with their food, that's for sure.

So the waiter, who was probably mid-twentyish came to give us the bill, and was standing at the far end of the table from me, chatting with my family, and someone mentioned that the one aunt and uncle were from Trinidad.

He says, "Trinidad? I have to add that on my list of places to visit."

And MY UNCLE OPENS HIS PIEHOLE, POINTS TO ME, AND SAYS:

"And she wants to go with you!"

To which the waiter replies:

"Sweet! When are you free?"

OH, THE NERVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am rather proud of myself, however, for without skipping a beat [and without blushing], I said in quite a serious tone of voice and a smirk on my face:

"I'm never free. It'll cost you. But it can be arranged. How much money do you have?"

I don't think I've ever seen my dad look more shocked and horrified in my life. HAHAHAHA. And I can't believe those words came out of my mouth!

It must have been the curry.

Whaddaya think?

==
*Kroeker: it's on. You're no match for my nerdiness.

2 Comments:

  • I don't think it was the curry...

    your quick wit came out to do battle with Eric and Curtis on more than one occasion...

    That's why we love ya! It's so quiet here, I think the robotic cricket is going to take over any day now...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Aug 09, 06:29:00 a.m. 2005  

  • Anon:

    Ha ha.

    Perhaps you have failed to present The Cricket with its daily offering sacrifice.

    I think Curtis might have been feeding it, contrary to the "Do Not Feed The Cricket" signs.

    It's a shame, really, because you know what they say:

    "A Fed Cricket is a Dead Cricket"!!

    By Blogger jacelyn, at Tue Aug 09, 06:44:00 a.m. 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home