Random Ramblings
Tonight I got home from work, dead tired from being up at 5:30 am, and decided to put on a little relaxation tunage. [That would be tunes as in music, lest it be confused with some sort of fish eye mask or something.] I had picked up a newer Dave Brubeck Quartet recording from the library the other day, and knew it would be perfect. There's something just light and pick-me-upish about Brubeck's stylings that melts my tension like pink bubble gum on a Toronto sidewalk in July. But less sticky.
Anyway. I put the CD on, and was being floated away by the intro piano solo when Rosy walks into the kitchen and says,
"Hey, is that you?"
HA HA HA HA HA..... My eyes bugged out as I protested, shocked and amused.
"NOOOO! That's Dave Brubeck!!!"
"Who grew back?"
[Again, insert canned laughter.]
I'm honored and flattered that she would think my attempts at jazz could be compared to this master. Lord only knows she has to endure me plunking out chord progressions and blues scales at the oddest hours. [My piano is in the room directly behind her bedroom.] So thanks, Rosy!
In other news, I've spent half of my life savings getting new brakes on my car. Okay, it wasn't my life savings, but maybe eight months' savings. And that was only the FRONT brakes! It was practically a whole paycheque for both brakes. So much for being parsimonious.* I asked around at the office to see if the guys thought I was being ripped off, but I don't think Eric or Curtis really knows [know?] too much about things mechanical. Eric can tell you about who's "last week's" music wash-up, and Curtis can tell you the price of MAC lipglass, but I seriously doubt their knowledge on normal prices for brake service. But they're both good BSers anyhow. High Fives for trying, guys. Any advice, Dale?
At any rate, I'm becoming an expert bus rider. I have it timed down to the last seconds of when I can leave my house in the morning to have enough time to walk [sometimes sprint] to the bus stop in time to catch either the 52 or the 9. And if the bus driver doesn't decide to stop for a coffee on Whyte, I have enough time to get myself a "regular-sized-single-shot-skim-milk-caramel-correto-no-whip-to-go-please" at the Churchill Second Cup before going in to the office. I was apologizing to the Barista one day for my Picky Drink, and I laughed and said,
"I guess that's what happens when you used to work at a Second Cup: you become one of those customers."
And the Barista says, with a smirk on his face,
"Yeah, essentially, you've become a b***h."
[GASP!]
Ouch.
Anyway. Enough rambling for the evening, I have things to do, places to go, people to avoid. Haaa....yeah.
G'night.
==
*Today's word of the day. Just had to slip it in somewhere. :-)
Anyway. I put the CD on, and was being floated away by the intro piano solo when Rosy walks into the kitchen and says,
"Hey, is that you?"
HA HA HA HA HA..... My eyes bugged out as I protested, shocked and amused.
"NOOOO! That's Dave Brubeck!!!"
"Who grew back?"
[Again, insert canned laughter.]
I'm honored and flattered that she would think my attempts at jazz could be compared to this master. Lord only knows she has to endure me plunking out chord progressions and blues scales at the oddest hours. [My piano is in the room directly behind her bedroom.] So thanks, Rosy!
In other news, I've spent half of my life savings getting new brakes on my car. Okay, it wasn't my life savings, but maybe eight months' savings. And that was only the FRONT brakes! It was practically a whole paycheque for both brakes. So much for being parsimonious.* I asked around at the office to see if the guys thought I was being ripped off, but I don't think Eric or Curtis really knows [know?] too much about things mechanical. Eric can tell you about who's "last week's" music wash-up, and Curtis can tell you the price of MAC lipglass, but I seriously doubt their knowledge on normal prices for brake service. But they're both good BSers anyhow. High Fives for trying, guys. Any advice, Dale?
At any rate, I'm becoming an expert bus rider. I have it timed down to the last seconds of when I can leave my house in the morning to have enough time to walk [sometimes sprint] to the bus stop in time to catch either the 52 or the 9. And if the bus driver doesn't decide to stop for a coffee on Whyte, I have enough time to get myself a "regular-sized-single-shot-skim-milk-caramel-correto-no-whip-to-go-please" at the Churchill Second Cup before going in to the office. I was apologizing to the Barista one day for my Picky Drink, and I laughed and said,
"I guess that's what happens when you used to work at a Second Cup: you become one of those customers."
And the Barista says, with a smirk on his face,
"Yeah, essentially, you've become a b***h."
[GASP!]
Ouch.
Anyway. Enough rambling for the evening, I have things to do, places to go, people to avoid. Haaa....yeah.
G'night.
==
*Today's word of the day. Just had to slip it in somewhere. :-)


2 Comments:
I can't believe the classification you have been given as an ex Second Cup employee. I mean really, if anything we are more enlighted to the plight of the morning barista not less. In the immortal words of Stephanie from the old TV show 'Full House'
-How rude!-
By
Nicole, at Fri Aug 05, 02:26:00 p.m. 2005
Nicole:
Amen, sistah! Perhaps it should be reported to Coffee Central. Ha ha.
By
jacelyn, at Sun Aug 07, 09:56:00 p.m. 2005
Post a Comment
<< Home