Jace's Journeys

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Provocation

Blame it on Kroeker.

I had full intentions of sitting down to write last night, but I saw Kroeker on MSN and we haven't chatted for a few months...and many gut-wrenching laughs and cheesy, eye-rolling puns later, I was too tired to write anything. So I'm shifting the blame. :-)

I think I've decided that I'm really only funny when provoked. And by provoked, I mean someone engaging me in the type of banter that activates the humour switch. I love talking with these people, because it brings out this really weird, twisted, brainy geek humour in me that causes blank stares from the general masses.

It's rare to find these people, but to those of you out there (Kroeker, Lilley, Buddha, Gertrude (Ethel?), Mike S, et al), and whomever thinks the Lost Access Card Saga should be sung by Alanis Morrisette, I thank you! You guys are The Wind Beneath My Wings!

3 Comments:

  • So does that mean that you are a really wierd, twisted, brainy geek?

    That will come in handy when teaching high school students - you'll get blank stares no matter what you say.

    A quote from my old band teacher: "These are accents, not chicken beaks!!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Aug 04, 12:37:00 p.m. 2005  

  • Mike S:

    Yup, I guess it does mean that.

    Good thing I'm already used to the blank stares.

    [And I'll file that quote away for future use!]

    By Blogger jacelyn, at Thu Aug 04, 12:59:00 p.m. 2005  

  • Make sure you draw a big chicken head around the beak.

    Just a short note about our teacher. He used a combination of humour and intensity in his conducting. His focus was on ensemble playing and not technical proficiency. He wanted it to be musical and so he was more interested in getting the accents right than getting the notes right.

    He drilled us incessantly on how long notes ought to be, how exactly to play offbeats in a way that actually sounded good, the rising and falling of a musical phrase demonstrated emphatically with his arms and voice (once a festival adjudicator complimented him on his singing).

    We had a band of 103 people with 5 tubas one year, yet we played "together" more than bands half our size. We won the "A" class festivals in Toronto most of the time.

    He quit teaching and was promoted to the school board and later the University of Western Ontario when the schools adopted the semester system.

    Gwyn Beynon remains to this day my favourite teacher.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Aug 05, 12:37:00 a.m. 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home