Jace's Journeys

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Redneck Girl

So I was driving back from Bugtussle in the parents' '93 Aerostar by myself this afternoon when I started to get bored. I thought maybe I'd turn on the radio to help keep me awake. The problem is, the only stations you can pick up out there are country stations. Having heard that the '93 Aerostar was built on a truck chassis, I figured this would be appropriate music (and I use the term "music" rather lightly) for the rough, bumpy summer drive through the prairies.

I lasted two songs.

The first one was a lonely cowboy crooning about how he wanted himself a "redneck girl". Now I know I grew up in Bonnyville, but somehow I have come to rebel vehemently against the culture of the town. I hate trucks, country music, Wranglers and cowboy boots. I don't like to cruise in Daddy's pickup truck, and I don't have my name on the back of my belt. Oh Lord, save me from them redneck boys....

The second song actually made me laugh. It was classic country: the guy lost his wife, his kids, and the life he used to live. Gone was his pride, his pool, his boat, his tools, his dreams, his dog, and his cat. Sad, man! SAAAAD!

By this time, I had reached Ashmont, the point where you can start to pick up FM stations from the city, albeit full of fuzz. I didn't care. Anything was better than listening to steel guitar competing in a whining contest with a guy full of whiskey and beeerrrr. The first station that came up was 96.3 and was some kinda R&B/Techno/Club stuff. Then came 92.5. Same thing. I tried a few more, and they were all so........empty. Argh! Where has all the good stuff gone? Thinking I'd switch to my old trusty standby of CBC Radio 2 90.9 FM [all classical], I was surprised to hear the scratching of records. Yes. Record scratching on CBC. Who knew?! Apparently, they had a music documentary on "Turntablists" - those people who take samples of records and create completely new music by manipulating the record on the turntable. Normally, this isn't really my thing, but to have it explained and hear the different sounds that could be acquired and made into "music" was really quite fascinating. These people differ from club DJs in that they use these turntables quite like an instrument unto itself. Apparently, it takes countless hours to master the techniques, and incredible coordination to boot.

I was thoroughly impressed.

I think the thing I really liked about it was that it was a completely "new" sound. Sometimes I get so sick of the same old "sound". Anyone know what I mean? I was thinking about it this morning as I was free-playing on the piano for a good hour. How can I challenge myself to keep up as a musician? What do I need to listen to, expose myself to, to start to incorporate freshness in my stuck-in-Sarah-McLaughlan-ish style? What is new and cutting edge these days? (Eric??)[Don't send me to a Radford concert though - there are some things I can't handle yet...] If you guys have any suggestions, I'm open...

Maybe I'll start honing my skills by asking my dad if I can borrow that prized antique turntable of his.....and there's always mom's southern gospel LP collection to start scratching the surface.....hahaha!

[Feel free to roll eyes here......]

==
PS: Jasper was magnificent as always. Email me if you want the link to my pictures.

PPS: Lilley - sorry for being owly. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home