Jace's Journeys

Monday, March 26, 2007

Free Lunch! [or supper...]

Today I took my three bands to the music festival where they got dressed up and impressed a highly qualified doctor of music.

["Doctor of music? What does he do?? Does he fix instruments?" says the drummer.....]

Two of my bands took home a mark of Distinction, and my high school band got a Superior standing, the highest mark that can be awarded.

Am I bragging?

Absolutely.

Anyhow, I came home from the trip and it occured to me that tonight was the night my friend Bartlett of Travel Alberta fame was gracing the likes of Boon-doggle on some business. It was an open house of some kind for the EUB.

Exactly. What's the EUB?
(I still don't know, really....)

I wasn't sure where the grand event was taking place, so I decided to put my google skills to the test, just for old TA Times' sake, but alas I could not find any info on the occasion, only a telephone number.

I called the number and asked about the open house being held in Bonnyville.

"I'm sorry, this is EUB."

"Yes, and I am inquiring about the open house in Bonnyville tonight."

"You don't understand, this is the Energy and Utilities Board. We are a blah, blah, blah, not a real estate company."

"Uhhhh.....yeeeah. No, actually the EUB is having an open house event tonight in Bonnyville. Do you know what time it starts at?"

[Huffy.] "Well. I don't know anything about that, I can't help you." Click.

Oookay.

Luckily, I was talking to The Farmer on the phone, and he told me there were sandwich boards on mainstreet advertising the thing, so I went and drove Bungieville speed past them to find out it was at the Agriplex.

Yup.

We have an Agriplex.

Anyways, I stopped at Sobeys and picked up a congratulatory pineapple to give to Bartlett and Mrs. Bartlett on the arrival of their new Biti-Bart. I drove over to the Agriplex and walked in, not knowing what to expect, exactly, but there was a huge crowd and a man giving a speech. I felt a little awkward, but a lady came up to me right away and said in a hushed tone, "Come on in, you can register over here and we'll give you a name tag."

Considering I didn't even know what kind of event I was at (and neither did their answering service, apparently), I was a little hesitant, and just went over and stood in the corner until the man was done his speech. Then I went walking around the booths to try to find Bartlett. Luckily, I did, because I think I would have felt a little foolish crashing an event with a pineapple in a giftbag.

It was great to catch up with my old TA friend. I love those kind of friends that you can not talk to for...well...a year, but then pick up exactly where you've left off. I even got to sit behind his display table and be an imposter EUB representative. [Yeah, I don't know...google it and see what you find....]

The best part, however, was that the event was a fully catered one with chicken, roast beef, mashed potatoes, salads and dessert....so I got a free supper out of it!

Okay, I'm lying. The best part was catching up with Bartlett, but the beef was definitely a bonus!

Yes, it's wonderful to see old friends again. I never took the time to chronicle the visit of Wade and Nicole and our weekend adventures....[Nic, it would take up a whole screen or two, n'est-ce pas?]...but a good time was definitely had by all.

Therefore, I urge ye, get thee to Boonieville! Jesse Lake (aka sludge bucket) is beginning to thaw, and there is the wonderful aroma of stench in the air! Actually, there's one band teacher who'd love to play tour guide. We guarantee a good time! Consider it! You, too, could be a hick in the sticks!

2 Comments:

  • Jace, Jace, Jace. Were you even paying attention? We had upwards of 10 booths explaining what the EUB is and I explained it personally. If you want to save yourself some googling, feel free to check out www.eub.ca It's absolutely enthrawling.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Mar 28, 07:07:00 a.m. 2007  

  • Ahhh the EUB - no just joking, I really don't know them well either. Too funny about the snotted off receptionist, I had a run in with one of those at the law firm on the 12th floor of the building. You would think I was asking for the moon - I was just picking up a letter, that's all, just a letter.
    Anyways, I digress. It would take pages to discuss all the fun times we had. Some of the guys I work with are headed your way for a few days - how I wish I could come!
    I am sure we will see you soon though.

    By Blogger Nicole, at Thu Mar 29, 08:10:00 a.m. 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home