Jace's Journeys

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Mexican Cacti, Badminton Sets and Other Assorted Goods.

Ah, Christmas! The time for family, sharing, food, and....presents.

Presents are a way of showing that we care for someone. Well, ideally, at least. Sometimes presents are given out of obligation to people we don't even like (fruitcake, anyone?!). But for the most part, the presents we give our friends and family show a certain amount of thought and love.

Some people have a real knack for buying "the perfect gift". Then there are people who mean well, but usually flop when it comes to present picking. Take my dad, for instance. He's a great guy, and I love him, but he's not exactly keen when it comes to choosing gifts. His adage is: if it's practical and/or on sale, what's not to like?

This philosophy has landed me with an odd assortment of items over the years. One year I got a wooden cactus statue that he picked up in a Mexican market. Though it doesn't fit in the practical side (at all!), I'm sure it was a good deal. For my birthday one year, I got a badminton set. I don't think I've played badminton since the eighth grade, but hey, who else do you know who has their very own badminton set? Huh?

I was intrigued as to what would show up under the Christmas tree this year, as about a month ago, my parents declared they had lost the "list" they had asked me to write.

"Do you want me to jot it down again?" I asked.

"No, no, that's fine," my dad says, "We managed all right."

It was then that I knew I was in for a surprise.
[And not your garden variety surprise, either.]

Gift #1: Air compressor.

[Not even kidding.]

Gift #2: Pair of binoculars.

[Um, thanks. I guess they will come in handy. Instead of calling, I can just stand on my roof and you can mime your message to me.]

Gift #3: Massaging seat cover.

You have to realize, this thing has six motors. SIX. And added heat bonus. It goes in your car, and comes with a cigarette lighter adapter. Sadly, since my stereo was ripped out of my car [in June], the cigarette lighter doesn't work.

Gift #4: Blender.

This is actually something that was on my list. :-) Being the only kitchen-related item, and my dad being a gourmand, it stands to reason he would remember this one item.


The thing about my dad is, he gives gifts that he thinks he would like to get. And to be fair, I think we all do that to some degree. Every year, I've come to expect some kind of oddity wrapped in coloured paper. And slowly, I've come to know that it's just a sign of his "dad-ness".


What's the oddest gift you've ever received?

4 Comments:

  • One out of four isn't bad, then, especially if it was on your list.

    The oddest gift I received was a wooden bear playing soccer. At least I think it was a bear. Maybe it was an opossum, but I don't think they play soccer. I thought bears rode bicycles, come to think of it. Anyway, it was totally ugly, and really weird, since the person who gave it to me said it reminded them of me. Want to trade the cactus?

    Oh yeah, I also got flowers from a girl once. Now, being a guy, that was definitely weird. A socket set or something ... anything but flowers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Dec 30, 02:55:00 p.m. 2005  

  • I once got a sinus cold for Christmas. I know there is a song about that somewhere.

    It wasn't really a gift but it had a funny effect on gifts. I didn't feel sick at all, the only symptom was that I lost all sense of smell or taste.

    My bittersweet chocolate tasted like cardboard. The coffee was like hot water. The candy, cakes, turkey, stuffing and cranberry had not taste at all. Coke was like soda water.

    The worst Christmas gift of my life.

    By Blogger Mike, at Fri Dec 30, 11:33:00 p.m. 2005  

  • I got diamond studded PRETEND tools this year....

    By Blogger Sirina, at Sun Jan 01, 10:34:00 p.m. 2006  

  • Strangest gift ever - Air Compressor for my Baptism (I was 19)
    But I also gave my bro an air compressor for Christmas this year (it was on his list).

    PS. There, Are you happy Jace? You finally have your precious comment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Jan 03, 04:26:00 p.m. 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home